Monday, November 13, 2017

Lizardmen: Prep Work

Way back when, I painted up the Reaper Bones lizardmen that came with Bones 1. I'm not actually sure when that was, since I don't seem to have blogged about it. Or if I did, I didn't tag it properly.



Anyway, here they are. I remember they were relatively quick paints, and it was nice to knock them out. Then Bones 3 happened, and I got 16 more. 4 archers, 4 spear armed, and 8 with clubs and shields (2 poses). I also just noticed that they all have quivers with javelins... I don't think those are options in Ghost Archipelago... Ah well...



There's also the lizardman from Bones 2 core set who is a little smaller than the others, and has a more saurian less lizard looking head. I'm not 100% sure on him, but strongly considering making him a shaman or something. The Medusa is probably going to be painted up for the November Hangout Figure of the Month...

These guys are Phase 2 of my Paint During Lunch At Work experiment. I started with a couple of fairly complex figures, and now I'm moving on to try batch painting. I'm bringing in a few new colors that are lizardman specific.

After giving them all a good wash and scrub with dish soap and a toothbrush, I checked them all over for mold lines, and debated basing them. In the end I did decide to base them all, since it gives me something to hold onto when painting them. Plus it makes them more stable on the table, and gives me a little room to play with grass and stuff.



Now, a bit about mold lines for those tackling them. First up, the archers. There's a big mold line right where the foot and bow meet. Also a minor mold line on the underside of the upraised arm.



The spear armed lizardmen were rather mold line free. A bit under the chin, and on the base between the feet. Actually a bit under the chin and between the feet was fairly common on all of them.



The forward facing club lizardmen had a bit under the chin, between their feet, and a bit under the tail. Also the loin cloths are somewhat delicate since they're not molded against the leg for some reason like it was on the one from Bones 1. I'm guessing that wasn't intentional.



The rear facing club lizardmen had the bit under the chin, between their feet, under the tail, and across the upper arm carrying the shield.

1 comment:

Comment Moderation is in place. Email notifications are spotty... might be a bit before this gets published. Sorry.