Thursday, July 13, 2017

New Terrain Project: Battlefield in a Box

A couple of years ago I embarked on a project to fill a Frostgrave table with terrain for $25. While I never got around to building everything I had planned before moving, I could fill a small table. With my move, I passed that box of terrain on to my old gaming group for their use, and now need to start over. I’m operating under different constraints this time around. Before I was limiting myself by budget. This time the plan is to build enough terrain to again fill a Frostgrave table, but to make it so that it all fits in a paper box. Specifically, this paper box.


Really, this should be not only doable, but pretty easy.
(Famous last words)

Now, I’m already aware of Fat Dragon’s flat fold terrain, and it’s certainly something I’m planning to explore, but paper terrain has never really appealed to me that much. It feels too insubstantial. But I have several sets that were included as part of the Bones III Kickstarter, so I’ll print out a building or two at the print shop around the corner and give it a try.

My initial thought is to make my main focus making a lot of basic walls/corners. Things that will break up line of sight, but not take up a large footprint either in the box or on the table. Ideally most of these walls will have ledges for figures to stand on, and for walkways and ladders to link together to give tactically interesting places for figures to move around on.

Aside from that, I’ve got the graveyard stuff from Bones 3 already. Just need to assemble and paint it up. But what Really would be lacking was some good vertical terrain. Towers, namely, either ruined and open or with balconies/ledges that treasures can be hidden on.

One crazy idea I’ve had lurking in the back of my brain for a while now is to make a completely vertical terrain board. No more than say… 2” deep? But that’s not what I’m planning on working on next, so nevermind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Email notifications are spotty... might be a bit before this gets published. Sorry.