Monday, September 7, 2015

#6MMRPC Week 13: Pathfinder Goblins

So 2 weeks I could claim victory for having worked on the base. Last week... not so much. Never picked up a paint brush. I don't even have the excuse of playing video games. I also realized that somewhere along the way I skipped a week... back in July it looks like. And this post should have gone up last week... Ahh well.

Since I don't have anything newly painted to share, how about some Pathfinder Goblins? I painted them a while ago... and wrote about it, and never posted it. So here it is.

Bones Pathfinder Goblins

Aesthetically, the pathfinder goblins are very different from the classic D&D style goblin. Their round heads and large mouths definitely fit the artistic style of Wayne Reynolds. Attitude-wise, they feel closer to the more fey nature of fairytale goblins, at least based on how they look. I haven’t actually read the pathfinder entry for goblins, or any of the adventures based around them.


Given how little they are, the sculpts have a fair amount of detail to them. I wanted to highlight that level of detail, but I also didn’t want to spend a whole lot of time on them. They’re just goblins after all, and between the reaper’s own goblins, the LotR goblins, HeroQuest goblins, the prepainted D&D goblins… I already have more painted goblins than I’ll ever need.

The base skin tone is an olive grey, the clothing is a leather is muddy brown (I think). The weapons were painted walnut brown, and then drybrushed with Mantic metal paint (gunmetal). Torches got the same brown as the leather, and the flames were base coated with yellow, and then highlighted with orange and red down near the base of the flames. Bones and teeth were picked out in bleached bone, and everything was given a brown wash. Eyes are dots of the same orange and red used on the flames.


For the whip witch (warchanter), I went with a bubblegum pink for her hair. That hadn’t been my original plan, but since I was going to go with black hair for all the other goblins, I figured if I didn’t like it I could paint over it easily enough. But the pink worked. I added in the bone for the top knot scrunchie. On mine it looked like the hair was pulled through a vertebra, rather than being weaved around finger bones.

I’m still not entirely sure what to do about the bases… I really liked the reaper goblin and kobold bases that were clearly stonework, rather than this… blob. Looks ok with some flock on it though.

1 comment:

  1. Pathfinder Gobs are fun. They eat dogs or something Ithink? Or was it babies? No idea. They are foul and all die easily just like any other setting's goblins.

    Pink hair was a masterful touch for the female - punk rock Goblins.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is in place. Email notifications are spotty... might be a bit before this gets published. Sorry.