Saturday, March 22, 2014

Tedankhamen's March Madness 31 day Obscure Game Blogging Challenge (4/4)

22 What is the most gonzo kitchen sink RPG you ever played? How was it?

Probably Tales from the Floating Vagabond. It’s pretty permissive of just about everything, yet it all works, just so long as you keep it gonzo.

23 What is the most broken game that you tried and were unable to play?

Not an RPG, but a card game about evil babies in an orphanage. Great concept, fun art, all but unplayable. It just didn’t work.

24 What is the most broken game that you tried and loved to play, warts and all?

Another card game - We Didn’t Playtest This.

25 Which game has the sleekest, most modern engine?

Star Wars Edge of Empire is pretty slick. I don’t know if it’s the most modern, but it’s the slickest I’ve played.

26 What IP (=Intellectual Property, be it book, movie or comic) that doesn’t have an RPG
deserves it? Why?

I’m having a hard time coming up with a movie or TV show that needs an RPG, but there are plenty of books that could use it: Myke Cole’s Shadow Ops series, The Kris Longknife series, The Vorkosigan Saga… all of which deserve at least a setting book, if not a full RPG.

27 What RPG based on an IP did you enjoy most? Give details.

I have to say Star Wars, any version. It’s just such a great setting.

28 What free RPG did you enjoy most? Give details.

Labyrinth Lord has gotten the most use as a rosetta stone of sorts, but the one that really caught my attention was Microlite20. For non-D&D RPGs, I’m going with Open D6

29 What OSR product have you enjoyed most? Explain how.

Stonehell and Vornheim. Stonehell because it showed me how a megadungeon could be handled on both sides of the DM’s screen. Plus it has a lot of fun bits in it. Vornheim because it’s so short yet still so inspiring.

30 Which non-D&D supplemental product should everyone know about? Give details.

I'm taking supplemental to mean not core, and not D&D to include anything from the OSR. That really limits my suggestions since I'm so D&D-centric.I'm actually going to pick a book that isn't an RPG book at all, but I think would be of interest to anyone that runs a game: The World Without Us by Alan Weisman. It's a great book that looks at what the world would be like if humans suddenly, and instantly disappeared from the face of the Earth. Here's a spoiler, it doesn't take long for most of our civilization's infrastructure to disappear completely. Definitely worth the read.

31 What out-of-print RPG would you most like to see back in publication? Why?

Tales from the Floating Vagabond. It’s available as a PDF, but it really needs to be back in print!



Big thanks to Tedankhamen for a good set of questions. Made me realize I need to expand my horizons a little, RPG-wise.

6 comments:

  1. Just so you know, there is a Vorkosigan Saga sourcebook available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember there was talk about one for years. I didn't realize it was ever actually published.

      Delete
  2. Great, illuminating answers. I was dying to play or run Vagabond but Paranoia had us all tapped out for humour.
    Open D6 rocks, and I'll check out that Weisman book. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought you'd like to know: I am currently working on the second edition of Tales From The Floating Vagabond, having successfully KickStarted it: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/452329082/tales-from-the-floating-vagabond-second-edition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really sorry I missed out on the kickstarter, but thrilled that it was successful!! That's fantastic news!

      Delete

Comment Moderation is in place. Email notifications are spotty... might be a bit before this gets published. Sorry.