Saturday, November 5, 2011

TRPBTNTWAs

Noisms from Monsters and Manuals posted a list of Things Role Playing Bloggers Tend Not To Write About, and he’s right, or at least he was until he posted this list. And since I have a hard time passing up things like this...

Book binding.
I love books! I like the feel, the smell, the look of a well loved and well put together book. I’m always impressed at how well the d6 Star Wars stuff from WEG has held together, even the soft covers. The binding, the paper, it’s all great!

"Doing a voice".
I do more speech patterns, rather than voices, though I guess that’s a pretty fine distinction. As a DM it helps me get more into the game.

Breaks. How often do you have breaks within sessions?
My 4e game tends to be a once every 4-6 weeks, and we tend to play for about 8-10 hours. We take very short breaks as needed.

Description. Exactly how florid are your descriptions?
Mostly pretty minimal, but every once in a while I’ll have at it.

Where do you strike the balance between "doing what your character would do" and "acting like a dickhead"?
Wheaton’s Law is in full effect.

PC-on-PC violence. Do your players tend to avoid it, or do you ban it? Or does anything go?
I generally discourage it as a DM. As a player I’d rather be killing monsters.

How do you explain what a role playing game is to a stranger who is also a non-player?
Cops and Robbers, or Cowboys and Aliens - with dice.

Alchohol at the table?
Not recently, but it never bothered me.

What's acceptable to do to a PC whose player is absent from the session? Is whatever happens their fault for not being there, or are there some limits?
This is generally a non-issue. If the player isn’t there, the character usually isn’t either.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see someone else just enforces Wheaton's Law and leaves it at that.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is in place. Email notifications are spotty... might be a bit before this gets published. Sorry.